Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kenya Update Numero Quatro/Nne

So I've been here for almost a month now.  It has been the adventure of a lifetime.  God teaches me something new everyday.  This week came with a lot of funny moments and some hardships as well.  But through it all, my God is always sovereign.  Continue to keep me in your prayers.  I love you all!



Tuesday

I laughed as I heard Swahili fly from June’s lips faster than I ever had before this morning.  She ran from the water bucket with Madame Beatrice bent over in laughter.  Why? Her biggest fear.  A rat.  Last night, a rat had gotten into the 100 liter bucket and died there.  She ran out of the kit hen as fast as her legs could carry her, leaving the rest of us laughing.  In the few breaths I could get out, I asked her if she wanted me to take care of it.  She barely got out “yes,” so I got a collinder and dipped it out.  I brought it to the “toilet,” which is really just as hole in the ground.  The kids just stared and gave crazed looks as I walked by them holding a bowl with a dead rat inside, trying the contain my laughter.  Welcome to the everyday experiences of living in Africa.  And I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  I mean, it ain’t a party going to the bathroom in a stinky hole.  But the simplicity of life here makes it all worth it.  Things we forget we even have are nowhere to be seen.  Washers and dryers, paper towels, CLEAN WATER FROM A FAUCET.  Every morning I wake up and filter my water for the day.  This includes drinking water and water for brushing my teeth and taking my malaria meds.  Having the chicken I saw running in the yard earlier for dinner.  The beauty of the countryside.  The red dirt roads that make tons of dust to drive my nose crazy.  All our fruit bought from the market in the square.  You know, God is an extremely complex God.  He is omnipotent and omniscient.  He knows all.  But sometimes He chooses to make His voice and commands simple.  And we simple say yes.  We are to be like Isaiah and say “Here I am.  Send me.”  Simply following His Will.  He is waiting for us to fall into surrender and rest.  All we have to do is simply reply yes and follow the incredible purpose He has for our life.

 

Thursday

Today was one of those days I just wanted to stay in bed.  I was tired and my bed was so warm.  Besides, they could do without me for a day, right?  These days come.  I work very hard every day and barely fall into bed at night.  I then felt in this moment that I needed to get up.  To do this.  To do that.  Work, work, work.  And God said “stop.”  He slowly breathed on me and said “it’s not about doing; it’s about me.  You’re tired so you can further put your trust in me.” See, if we continue doing and forget what we are doing it for, then our doing is completely worthless.  My hope is not on my body to continue because obviously that’s not happening.  My worthless body points me to one thing.  Him.  Why?  Because He is enough.  He is all I need.  I don’t need to do, but I just need to be still and know He is God.  Sometimes He speaks in the still, small voice that can barely be heard.  Sometimes He speaks and dry bones grow flesh and breathe.  There is nothing I can do for God.  He has done it all and just chooses to allow me to join in.  He does it all for me.  So I don’t trust in myself or anyone else, because He is enough.  He wraps His arms around me and guides me where I’m to go.  I just have to reside in His presence.  He is there expecting my worship.  He is my light, my salvation, my strong tower, my refuge, my rock.  And if He is all that, I can trust Him to wake me up in the morning and rejoice because He made this day for me to enjoy to the fullest.  It is He and He alone.  I just stay close and abide.  It reminds me of such a good song…
“Draw me closer, Oh My Lord.  Draw me closer, Lord, to thee.
And captivate us, Lord Jesus.  Set our eyes on you.
Devastate us with your presence, falling down.
And rushing river, draw us nearer.  Holy fountain, consume us with you.
And captivate us, Lord Jesus, with you.”

 

Friday

Well, I’ve been here 25 days now.  My halfway point in Kenya.  Sad face.  But the things I’ve learned and experienced here will last for the rest of my life.  This place has changed me so much.  I would not be the person I am today had I never set foot here 3 years ago.  So I want to take a second and thank my sister for the person she is.  Around 7 years ago, Katie heard Mike Curry talk about this place in Africa called Kenya, and God started stirring something in her heart.  She took a huge step of faith and asked Mom and Dad if she could go, and they took a step of faith and agreed.  Well, obviously it changed Katie’s life.  And now, 7 years later, our whole family has been affected by our experiences in Kenya, and nothing has been the same.  All because my sister took one leap of faith.  And I am forever thankful.  Besides my parents, Katie is the person I look up to most in life.  The way she selflessly serves others humbly and lives her life on mission inspires me so much.  She is always there to encourage me or give me advice.  She is there for me even though we live 4 hours away from each other.  Not to mention she’s pretty cool too, and can still beat all of us up.  She’s got jokes too, and can deal with my corniness.  I love her so much.  My whole life is directed now from what I’ve experienced in Kenya.  Everything that I am doing and working towards was changed and set into motion because of this place.  And without her, none of that would probably be happening.  So I am forever thankful for her.  She’s not just my sister.  She’s my best friend.

 

Saturday

Today a medical team was at the orphanage to test for HIV.  I asked Hellen how big of a deal HIV was in this area.  And how she replied shocked me.  She said that it was the #1 killer; that 70% of the people here are HIV positive.  Seventy percent.  That almost everyone in the slum is affected, and that people just don’t care or are in denial.  So it spreads through the sinful lifestyle that is everywhere there.  And I was just brought to my knees.  My mind cannot fully comprehend it.  If they even got some proper medication and ate a good diet, it could greatly be helped.  But because of their situation, it’s impossible.  How can I live while so many around me are dying?  Why do I get to have food tonight?  Why is it me?  I’m on my knees and the understanding is hard to come by.  This is life here.  It’s hard.  HIV kills.  Bottom line.  And people suffer because of it.  Children live in fear when they find they’re infected.  This is not a story on the internet.  This is reality.  My friends are affected by it.  But at school, they are taught how to deal with it.  We are bringing up a generation who will not only live for Christ, but will affect Kipsongo for Him.  Because if people won’t listen, I can at least help those who will.  God has these people.  They are HIS.  He heals.  One kid who was HIV positive no longer shows it.  He cares for His own.  He protects.  I am His, and so are many of these sick people.  I still don’t know how to handle the fact that 70 % of the people around me possibly have a death sentence.  That’s hard for anyone to handle.  But my God is good.  He is there and at work.  He is the one to put trust in.  And I pray that my friends put their hope in THE ultimate hope.  It is for His glory and His glory alone.

 

Sunday

God works through weakness.  I woke up today not feeling any better.  While in the shower, I prayed that God would at least heal me just when I was preaching today.  But He had other plans.  When I got up to preach, I was still feeling sick.  My sore throat was there and my nose was running the whole time.  But the Holy Spirit came upon me.  Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.  And in my weakness of sickness, He held me.  I preached for an hour today!!  I have never felt the Spirit of the Lord before like I did today.  And it all came from putting all of my trust in Him.  And through it all, HE was glorified through my sickness.  And me, being stubborn, was just in awe of His goodness.  Today marks the end of my fourth week here.  I have seen and experienced so many blessings this week, but it has also come with tiredness and sickness.  But through it all, I have been able to see God like never before.  He just wants us to rest in Him.  It is not by our own doing we live in this world.  When I am helpless and put my faith in Him, He works through me.  All of my pride and selfishness goes away, and it is only Him.  Everything is stripped away, but He remains faithful.  If there is anything I’ve learned here, it’s that I can do nothing apart from Him.  I work in hard areas, but He is so good and sustains me through it all.  Every day, I get a runny nose or something because my immune system is in overdrive to fight off stuff from just holding hands and being the victim of a few coughs.  This is the cost of working with the least of these.  There is no such thing as clean.  Dirtiness is everywhere.  But this is also the wonder of it all.  I don’t want to be clean.  I want to feel the dirt.  The grime.  I want to know how it feels.  I want my life to be filled with the “dirtiness” of Africa.  Because if I wash it off, I’m just a normal, average American.  And I don’t want to be normal.  I want to change the world.


God is still working here.  He is teaching me so much.  And I have so much more to learn.  Keep me in your prayers, but not just me, but all of my friends here.  I love you all and I miss you.  Mungu Akubariki (God Bless You)!

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment