Sunday, June 30, 2013

Kenya Update Numero Seis/Sita

Well, I'm at the end of my time here in Kitale.  Mom and Dad got here this morning with a team.  Tomorrow I have to say goodbye to the people I've grown so close to, and I'm not ready at all.  Next week will be a blur as we visit 3 cities and go on a safari at the place where the sounds for the Lion King were recorded (it's ok to be a little jealous).  And then I will head home.  Way too crazy.  This week, the public school teachers went on strike, and almost all of the orphanage kids away at boarding school came home.  It has been so good to spend time with them.  Also, I have heard some amazing stories this week, some of which are not appropriate for the internet.  God is still moving.  He TRULY is changing lives.  Please continue to pray for me and these buddies of mine.



Monday

Today in Class 3, I told the kids that this was my last week to teach.  Later at the orphanage, Delmas came up to me and said “I’m sad.”   “Why are you sad?”  “You’re going to America too soon.  I won’t let you go.”  At all of this, my heart kind of sunk a little bit.  I literally have 7 more days in Kitale.  Seven more days with these new friends of mine.  How can I say goodbye?  How can I give a thousand hugs and tell them how much I love them?  How do I begin to share what these people have taught me and meant to me?  I don’t know how I’m going to handle it.  My heart yearns to stay.  These kids mean so much.  There is no way I can write in words what they mean to me.  I will leave Kitale in a few days, but not all of me will leave.  I will leave a huge part of me behind.  I will leave part of my heart.  And I will be different.  I will be changed.  I will leave with a fresh dose of the Lord’s grace and blessing, having learned some of the hardest, most rewarding lessons ever.  I never want to be the same.  I want this to affect my whole life.  I don’t want this experience to be “that one time in Kenya.”  I don’t want my lessons left here.  That would be a complete waste of 7 weeks.  I want to have the same kind of love I’ve been shown.  I want to be a blessing to others.  My mission does not end in 2 weeks.  This is only the beginning.  My worldview has been so altered that I’ll never be the same.  My mission is based solely on where God has me at the moment.  How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.  Now I can’t say that my always dirty, chaco-tanned feet are all that beautiful.  But it does mean that wherever I go, I am Christ.  He is in me.  And I follow His call.  Wherever He leads I’ll go.  Redeeming love has been my theme, and shall be til I die!

Wednesday

Not a day goes by without me being completely reminded of the depravity around me.  But my God heals.  He makes broken things whole.  But sometimes He chooses to tear to heal.  And He WILL do His Will.  Just because some of my friends live in poverty doesn’t mean they’re poor.  Sure, in money terms they are.  But they are rich in grace, thankfulness, mercy, kindness, and worship.  More than we could ever fully understand.  But I still fight the hunger, sickness, and fear with the love of God.  It’s all I can do.  Poverty is real.  The end is getting near, but I still have a few days.  To work as hard as possible.  To finish empty.

Friday

Let me tell you the story of Sunday.  Sunday comes from inside the heart of the slum.  He comes to school and eats the only food he gets for the entire day.  But during the weekend, he has nothing to eat.  And sometimes, if he can make it, he walks to June’s house for food during the weekend.  Sunday is just the poster card for so many of these kids.  Who have literally nothing.  Who would be starving without the school.  Who still starve on the weekend.  Right now, people all around me are starving.  How do I deal with this?  I’ve been around it for 6 weeks and it still doesn’t get any easier.  This is right on my doorstep.  And Sunday’s story is like those I hear all the time.  It’s like I’m  used to the fact I’m working in a slum.  But I can’t even come close to what life is really like for these kids.  I see from the outside.  They live it.  So I give all, and Christ works through me.  Because I AM working in a slum and AM a light for these kids.  He wants all of me.  Not a half, not three quarters (yeah, I’ve been teaching too much math).  He wants it all.  He is to be obeyed wholeheartedly.  He wants my fears, my failures, my faults, my successes.  He wants it all.  I want my heart to look like His heart.

“You won’t relent until you have it all; my heart is Yours”

Sunday

Tomorrow I say goodbye to this awesome place.  My heart hurts just to think about it.  I love these kids with all of my being.  They mean more to me than I can ever explain.  The past six weeks in Kitale have been a whirlwind of emotions.  And through it all, God has been right there by my side.  When I can’t take another step, when my eyes can see no more, when my ears can hear no more, when I am overwhelmed, it is there that He has carried me.  When my mind can’t comprehend or process the things my eyes have seen and when my heart screams from the inside, it is there that I have rested in Him.  When I am exhausted, dirty, sick, frustrated, joyful, angry, laughing, and smiling, it is there that He leads me to follow after His heart.  I’m human.  And no matter how much I won’t admit it, I’m a pretty emotional guy.  I left the U.S. 6 weeks ago ready to learn.  But the Africa I have experienced is different than what I was used to.  I was used to only the smiling faces and happiness.  And even though this is still Africa, there was another Africa I was yet to experience.  Where ministry is not always easy.  Where it is hard and sometimes dangerous.  Things you don’t experience short term.  But things that are real.  Where you watch your friends walk home to a place of abandonment and abuse.  But through this, I have learned so much.  Ministry is not supposed to be easy.  We were never promised it would be.  In fact, we were promised the opposite.  But it is SO worth it.  To see the smiling faces as a picture of God’s love.  I hold the hands of the orphanage kids and am amazed at God’s grace.  Stories of hope and change.  It is so worth it.  And the fact that I get to join in on this journey leaves me absolutely speechless.  Kitale has become home.  The lessons I’ve learned will last forever.  And I’m never going to be the same.  I am not ready to leave, but just like Nehemiah, I must finish the work and then return home to still work for these friends of mine.  They deserve it.  These past 6 weeks have, as I’ve said before, truly been the adventure of a lifetime.
 
 
Thanks for reading, and thanks for praying.  Your prayers keep me going.  My time here has changed me so much.  God continues to teach me everyday.  He is changing lives.  As always, I miss and love all of you! In all you do, serve Christ.  HE is ALL you need.
 
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment